Year 3 – Curriculum (Teacher Mrs Maddock)
Hello, everybody! I’m Mrs. Maddock and I would like to welcome you all to my class. It was lovely to meet you when I visited you in July and I was so impressed with your fabulous art work which I have displayed in our classroom for September. I can’t wait to see all of the other great work that you will do this year and look forward to getting to know you better.
In addition to Numeracy and English, over the course of this year we will be learning about lots of fun and interesting topics. We will start with a study of a contrasting country in Europe, exploring a famous region and the features which make these areas special. In addition in English we will explore another contrasting location, in a magical place, through a study of the book ‘Leon and the Place Between’. Next, we will move onto a study of the Romans. We will learn how to make a Roman Mosaic and all about this interesting period in history thinking about their legacy and the things we have today as a result of their inventiveness.
Moving and Growing will be our third topic as we learn about muscles and skeletons in this Science-focused topic. To end the Spring Term we will take a more in depth look at the UK, learning about important places and geographical features.
To begin the Summer Term we will explore our environment and leap into the wonderful world of plants. We will study the vital role plants play in ours and animals’ lives and will create detailed drawing and paintings of the wonderful specimens we will find. The year will end with a study of the Stone Age to Iron Age Man. We will discover what it was like to live in these periods and find out about how they used the resources around them to improve their lives. You will be amazed at some of the crucial inventions the people of these ages gave to us!
I look forward to seeing you all again and I can’t wait to start teaching you in September!
P.S. Please also note that although not shown below, Spellings will be tested and set every Wednesday.
|Year 3||Autumn Term 1||Autumn Term 2||Spring Term 1||Spring Term 2||Summer Term 1||Summer Term 2|
|Theme||Journey to a Contrasting Locality||Romans||Moving and Growing||Adventures in Our Country||Plants, trees and flowers around the world||The Iron Man (Stone Age to the Iron Age in the UK)|
|RE||Introduction to the Bible||Jesus the Healer||Jewish Celebration – Purim – and the Jewish Concept of God||The Wider Church||Islam / Allah||Descriptions of God|
|Science||Animals and Nutrition||Light||Animals (muscles and skeletons)||Forces (magnets)||Plants||Rocks & Soils|
|Art & DT||Collage – landscapes, Food tech – recipes from Europe||Roman Mosaic, Making a Roman sandal||Painting, Moving arms||A study of British landscape artists||Painting and drawing – observations of plants||Drawing, Printing – cave painting using natural resources, Clay tiles – using found tools|
|ICT||Handling Data||Combining Text & Pictures||Finding Information||Creating multimedia||Modelling-Using Simulations||Giving Instructions|
Year 3 – Term Curriculum Newsletter
For a more detailed view of the Year 3 curriculum coverage please download the following PDF
- Year 3 Curriculum Newsletter Summer 2
- Year 3 Curriculum Newsletter_Summer1 2017
- Year 3 UK Curriculum Newsletter_Spring 2 2017
- Year 3 Roman Curriculum Newsletter_Spring 1 2017
- Year 3 – Curriculum newsletter Autumn 2 2016
- Year 3 – National Curriculum 2014 Planning Document
- Year 3 and 4 – Spelling Appendix
- Year 3 – Vocabulary Grammar Punctuation
General Class Information
- Reading: Please ensure that your parents fill in your reading Diary and comment. Please keep these in your bags each day, you may need them if you read with an adult
- P.E: The lesson will be every Monday and Friday. Please make sure you have your P.E. Kit on both days. As the weather is getting colder it will be good if you have tracksuit bottoms to wear for our outdoor P.E. lessons to help you keep warm
- Drinks: Please make sure you have a water bottle for drinking during the day.
- Coats: Please bring your coats and wellies for outdoor play in the winter months.
|Spelling||–||–||Spelling Test and Spellings Set.||–||–|
|Times Tables||–||Tested and returned Tuesday. Please bring in your times-tables card.||–||–||–|
|Numeracy||–||My Maths to be completed||–||My Maths to be given set||–|
|Handwriting||–||–||Handwriting to be handed in.||–||Handwriting to be given out.|